Guides, tips and useful information on a wide range of subjects under the building, maintenance and construction of properties.

Building Regulations

This section gives information on the Building Regulations and general advice on how they apply to various types of common building work.

What are the Building Regulations?
The Building Regulations apply to building work in England & Wales and set standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the safety and health for people in or about those buildings. They also include requirements to ensure that fuel and power is conserved and facilities are provided for people, including those with disabilities, to access and move around inside buildings. Learn more about compliance and the consequences of not complying.

Is Building Regulations approval the same as planning permission?
Building Regulations approval is a separate matter from obtaining planning permission for your work. Similarly, receiving any planning permission which your work may require is not the same as taking action to ensure that it complies with the Building Regulations. You can learn more about the difference between Planning Permission and Building Regulations here.

What are the Health and Safety Responsibilities?
Clients, contractors and designers may also have duties under health and safety legislation and may need to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Find out more about the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 (CDM 2007). Although a domestic client does not have duties under CDM 2007, those who work for them on construction projects will.

Building Regulations Disclaimer

The Building Regulations content provides you with a practical level of guidance to enable you to better understand how the Building Regulations might impact on a building project you are doing or considering.

This is not a definitive interpretation of the Building Regulations. Unless you have a reasonable working knowledge of building construction it would be advisable before any work is started to obtain appropriate professional advice which is relevant to the building work you want to carry out (e.g. from an architect, a structural engineer, a building surveyor, a heating engineer or replacement window specialist) and to choose a registered builder, or a registered installer, to carry out the work.

Further information can be obtained from the Planning Portal.

For more information please contact Lee Main of Building, Maintenance and Construction.